In late 1938, after the passing of the Housing Authorities Law of the State of Texas, the previous year, the city of Fort Worth formed the Housing Authority as a non-profit organization. By 1940, the Housing Authority had developed safe, sanitary communities for families needing assistance when private rentals or homeownership were unattainable. During World War II, the Housing Authority assisted the government with construction and management of temporary housing. The materials in this collection date from 1938 to 2000. The papers primarily consist of meeting minutes, budgets, bids, warranty deeds, photographs and scrapbooks.