The Northern Texas Traction Company operated the streetcar system in Fort Worth, and the interurban lines between Fort Worth and Dallas. The company had its beginnings in 1900, when George T. Bishop bought the City Railway of Fort Worth; he later acquired the Dallas and Oak Cliff Elevated Railway to gain access to Dallas. The line between Fort Worth and Dallas, the second interurban line constructed in Texas, began operations on July 1, 1902. Stone & Webster, an engineering firm from Boston, purchased the company from Bishop in 1905 and began running interurban lines to other parts of Texas. The last interurban between Dallas and Fort Worth ran on December 24, 1934, and the company’s streetcar service ended in 1937.
This collection consists of a scrapbook and eleven issues of Traction News (January 1929-August 1930). The scrapbook, highlighting accomplishments of 1927, was created by the company to submit in competition for the Charles A. Coffin Medal. It includes photographs; advertisements; newspaper clippings; and information on equipment, finances, fares, and ridership. The newsletter, published by and for the employees of Northern Texas Traction Company and Texas Motorcoaches, Inc., features articles about the companies, local transit, and employees.