The Texas Spring Palace opened on May 29, 1889 as a regional immigration and agricultural fair. It was intended to advertise Texas by displaying all the products of the state under one roof. Local railroads cosponsored the project and local business and citizens furnished construction funds by subscription. The building was built in thirty-one days by the Fort Worth Loan and Construction Company and served as an educational, cultural, and entertainment center for Texas’ residents and guests throughout June. Wheat, cotton, and other products of Texas covered the entire structure and decorated the interior. The Palace was located along the Texas & Pacific Railway tracks at the foot of Main Street. A second season was scheduled for May 10-31, 1890, but the building was destroyed by a fire on the night of May 30, 1890 during a dance with several thousand people in attendance. One person, Al Hayne, died in the fire when he returned to the burning building to rescue others. A monument in memory of Al Hayne sits on Lancaster Street.