Tarrant County, named after General Edward H. Tarrant, was founded in 1849 when it was carved out of neighboring Navarro County. In 1850, the first Tarrant County Tax Assessment was conducted by the Navarro County Tax Assessor, W.B. McCabe, since Tarrant County had not yet been officially organized. Later that same year, John A. Hust was elected as Tarrant County’s first tax assessor.
This collection consists of scanned microfilm images of the original tax ledgers from 1850-1880. A tax assessment for Tarrant County was conducted annually. In early years, some of the tax assessments were as few as six pages, but as the 1880s approached, the ledgers spanned over 200 pages. For faster loading and viewing, the annual tax assessments have been divided into 25 page increments. The pages in each segment are viewable by clicking on the individual pages to the right and using the scroll bar. Individual page descriptions are located below the object description for each item.
To begin searching the Tarrant County Tax Rolls, enter a keyword in the search box at the top of the page and click the blue "Search" button to the right of the search box. The next page will list the number of results at the top right of the page. The search can be narrowed further within the collection, or a new search started, by clicking on the down arrow beside the term "within results."
Due to the original condition of the ledger pages with ink smudges, ink splotches, and torn edges, some of the information may be missing. As with the original microfilm, some of the information on the margins has been cut off.
The scanned images in the Texas County Tax Rolls Collection are made possible by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act. (2013)