The Federal Writers Project began in 1935 as a national program of the Works Progress Administration, with regional field offices throughout the United States. In January 1936, Fort Worth became a District Field Office for North Central Texas, but the national program was abandoned by September 1939. With the discontinuation of federal sponsorship, the program became the Texas Writers Project under the guidance of the University of Texas. The Fort Worth Public Library, along with the City of Fort Worth, contributed to local funding and administration for the final two years of the project.
Authors and researchers transcribed newspaper articles, interviewed residents, and compiled lists of local activity in the city, county, and surrounding areas. The material is loosely grouped by subject matter, such as the cattle industry, art and culture, and municipal history. Published in 1941, the Fort Worth and Tarrant County Research Data comprises 77 volumes of material. Each volume contains its own index and chronology of events, which are detailed at the beginning of the volume. Please note, however, that the search function available with this digitized version allows the user to search over all volumes at once.
To begin searching the Federal Writers Project enter a keyword in the search box at the top of the page and click the blue "Search" button to the right of the search box. The next page will list the number of results at the top right of the page. The search can be narrowed further within the collection or a new search started by clicking on the down arrow beside the term "within results".